The Automated Mental Health Background Check (MHBC)
The new automated Mental Health Background Check will allow your organization to perform searches of public mental health systems automatically. Your organization will be able to use this system for mental health background checks for individuals requesting pistol permits, long rifle, explosives, and certain types of employment. Using this new system, you will be given notification of the results within 24 hours of the request. Access to this system is limited to members of local law enforcement with responsibility for pistol permits, long rifles, explosives and certain types of employment.
PDF of Presentation (2.2mb)
MHBC User Guide (3.31mb)
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Information Security Training are required for any staff authorized to use the system.
HIPAA Training Video (requires Windows Media Player 11)
Please use the links below to view the trainings and supplemental materials.
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Training
- HIPAA Training Slides (1mb)
- Office of Mental Health (OMH) Training Video Script (text only)
- OMH HIPAA Training Video Script (text with graphics)
- OMH HIPAA Privacy Rule Preemption Analysis and Updates
- OMH Employee HIPAA Awareness Brochure
- HIPAA Attestation (21kb)
Information Security Training